Skip to main content

Nanny 101



When looking after someone else's child, things can go really well or really bad. I'm lucky to be in the former situation. In my year and a half of doing this, I have learned so much. Here are the top five things I have learned.

1. ALWAYS have a "plan B" in case you need to switch things up quickly on the spot.

2. GPS is a must, for hopefully obvious reasons.

3. Duffel bags are a god send. Toss in what you need, things you may need, and a few things you have no clue about.

4. Have spare phone numbers and all addresses written down. Its good to have a back up.  You will never know when your phone dies and you have to borrow someone's in an emergency situation. (True story)

5. Remember what the word "appropriate" means and how it should be applied in your situation.  This includes but is not limited to: the music in your car, your clothes, and above all - what comes out of your mouth!

It's a weird thing, but you may also find yourself the most creative when you are around kids.  I've had to recreate phrases and expressions to be appropriate and it has definitely expanded my vocabulary. The phrase "son of a muffin eater" is still my go to, even away from work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Concept of Minimalism and Roommates

Minimalism is a journey to find what truly makes you happy in life.  It isn't a fad about having the cleanest space with the least goods.  It isn't a switch you flip one day and spontaneously do.  You can't force yourself through getting rid of things.  You will never be able to "convert" people to minimalism.  And it certainly isn't a set number of things needed or not needed to "be a minimalist".  Everyone has their own version of what minimalism is. What minimalism is to me is finding what sparks a smile.  It's about adding meaning back into your life.  It's about remembering what really matters to you, building meaningful relationships, and not always wondering what this mad dash of society is.  It's about breaking the habit of compulsory purchasing and asking yourself "Why?"  "Why am I buying this?" "Does it mean that much to me?" This is a journey I found myself starting about a year or so ago, and...

"Changes" - Coming Soon to a Life Near You!

Changes: they happen.  And they can suck.  A famous few include puberty (everything is changing), the seasons (unless you are here in California), and the political climate (which I will NOT be getting into).  My point is that they exist and, like it or not, they help make the world go round. I have been on a hiatus from blogging (and most of the things I enjoy) for the last few months because of this driving force - though if change were to ever have a drivers licence it would get that licence revoked so fast for speed infringements alone.  By last few months I mean since January.  So almost 7 months?  Change has recently dictated my daily life.  So here is a quick rundown of what's been going on. 1. The title of this blog has changed to reflect the main change... That could be phrased a lot better... But you get the point.  The trio has met it's end.  It's been a good year and some change (see that pun there?), but the boyfriend and I ...