Skip to main content

The Last Box


To begin something new with the last of something else may be a bit ominous, but it is not wholly unusual.  Much like moving.  That last box reminds you of the end of where you've been in life, up to this point.  But then you move, and you get to unpack that last box; offering yourself a sense of permanence and completion.  And a well deserved sigh of relief. You have now begun a new home with the last of your old home.  In an ideal world this would be how everyone saw things (at least, that's my opinion).  And as it turns out we do not live in this ideal world.

So lets face it: NO ONE likes to move.

Packing while balancing class work can be hard enough, but to add in work, a theatre production, and a BA thesis makes it miserable.  Now, slap on the fact that it is your graduating semester and you have 3 months to get out of your house and you are in for a hell of a time.  Enter my boyfriend.

An absolute sweetheart to the end, supportive like none other, and graduating at the same time - he is my tree.  I would use the term rock here, but rocks do not grow with you.  They are relatively stagnant and quite frankly - dead.  A tree is at least alive.  I don't think things would have gone as well as they did if we had not been there for each other.

Shortly after graduation it came time to move.  Enter our current roommate: the drag queen.

I do quite vividly remember praying that if I were to move out on my own that my roommate be gay.  I still chalk it up to watching too many sitcoms and movies, but that's a bit beside the point now.  I also remember saying "And God please, if you think me deserving of this awesome roommate, just please, can you also make him a Drag Queen?"  It took a few years for that particular prayer to be answered, two of which were spent in the theatre department which of course helped, but here we are.

Now it is the three of us, and my cat, in a two bed-one bath apartment just outside of Sacramento.  This is our lives, our adventures, and much more.  Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Concept of Minimalism and Roommates

Minimalism is a journey to find what truly makes you happy in life.  It isn't a fad about having the cleanest space with the least goods.  It isn't a switch you flip one day and spontaneously do.  You can't force yourself through getting rid of things.  You will never be able to "convert" people to minimalism.  And it certainly isn't a set number of things needed or not needed to "be a minimalist".  Everyone has their own version of what minimalism is. What minimalism is to me is finding what sparks a smile.  It's about adding meaning back into your life.  It's about remembering what really matters to you, building meaningful relationships, and not always wondering what this mad dash of society is.  It's about breaking the habit of compulsory purchasing and asking yourself "Why?"  "Why am I buying this?" "Does it mean that much to me?" This is a journey I found myself starting about a year or so ago, and...

"Changes" - Coming Soon to a Life Near You!

Changes: they happen.  And they can suck.  A famous few include puberty (everything is changing), the seasons (unless you are here in California), and the political climate (which I will NOT be getting into).  My point is that they exist and, like it or not, they help make the world go round. I have been on a hiatus from blogging (and most of the things I enjoy) for the last few months because of this driving force - though if change were to ever have a drivers licence it would get that licence revoked so fast for speed infringements alone.  By last few months I mean since January.  So almost 7 months?  Change has recently dictated my daily life.  So here is a quick rundown of what's been going on. 1. The title of this blog has changed to reflect the main change... That could be phrased a lot better... But you get the point.  The trio has met it's end.  It's been a good year and some change (see that pun there?), but the boyfriend and I ...

Nanny 101

When looking after someone else's child, things can go really well or really bad. I'm lucky to be in the former situation. In my year and a half of doing this, I have learned so much. Here are the top five things I have learned. 1. ALWAYS have a "plan B" in case you need to switch things up quickly on the spot. 2. GPS is a must , for hopefully obvious reasons. 3. Duffel bags are a god send. Toss in what you need, things you may need, and a few things you have no clue about. 4. Have spare phone numbers and all addresses written down . Its good to have a back up.  You will never know when your phone dies and you have to borrow someone's in an emergency situation. (True story) 5. Remember what the word "appropriate" means and how it should be applied in your situation.  This includes but is not limited to: the music in your car, your clothes, and above all - what comes out of your mouth! It's a weird thing, but you may also ...